Thursday, May 24, 2012

Recovery

I am 3 1/2 weeks post-surgery to repair my hernia (I have pictures of what it looks like if anyone wants to see it.).

Doctor's orders after the surgery - no activity for a week - can walk after a week and then see how it feels after that.  No swimming for two weeks. 

This is a process that normally takes 4-6 weeks to heal.  "I don't have that kind of time; I have an Ironman to train for!" I said.  My body said otherwise.  It was slow going one week post-surgery.  My brain said that I needed to get out there and catch up.  The soreness and pain said otherwise. 

Patience, patience, patience.  I have learned that I have to listen to my body and what it will allow me to do.  I had to remember to try and heal so that I don't cause further injury.  Thank you to Ellen and my tri friends for telling me to ease back into things and to enjoy the rest so that I am ready to come back and start training when it's time.

I appreciate that coach Sean has been patient with me and working with me (including listening to me whine about my soreness).  I was concerned that I wasn't going to be able to do the race.  While it would not have been the end of the world if I wouldn't have been able to come back, I would have been really disappointed.  I have appreciated the texts and emails I have received from friends, asking me how I was doing. 

Mother's Day morning, Ellen and my friends Jeff and Cathy Smith, walked and jogged with me.  Woo hoo!  Progress!

Two weeks ago today, I walked briskly (i.e. 12:30/mile pace) while my daughter was at soccer practice.  Tonight, I was able to run 6 miles at an 8:45/mi pace...speed work...some soreness...was careful.

While I feel I kept most of my endurance while I was off, I could feel that I needed to get some back after biking intervals with Joe and Ginger last night and running intervals tonight while Katie was at soccer.  I am grateful to be back at it.  I'm starting to feel tired again, so I know I am ramping up my training. 


I took a picture of my biggest supporter, Ellen, and tried to upload it...it's sideways.  Once I figure out how to turn it, I will post the picture.  She is wearing her "Ironman Support Crew" shirt that I got her last year at Steelhead 70.3.  I bought it for her because she supported me as I trained for that race.  Little did I know that she would be supporting me as I trained for a full Ironman race.

Next up...Louiville on Saturday, to ride 60-71 miles on the actual bike course.  It is an "out and back" course, with two loops of 30-miles.  I am going so that I can get a feel for the course so that I am more relaxed about race day.  I have joined a group called "iAM TRI".  It is a group of people that are doing IM Louisville.  This group sponsors group rides along the course, as well as a group swim of the beginning of the swim, and runs on the run course.

I am learning good things from the posts on this website/blog.  There is a lot to learn.

Upcoming events for me include MuncieMan Tri on June 9 and a possible 5k swim in Morse Lake on June 23.  I am nervous about the latter, as that is a LONG swim! 

I was able to do my first open-water swim this past Monday.  I actually swam well and was excited about that! 

More to follow.  I will tell you about my experience from the ride in Louisville.

We are about 3 months away from race day!  I am nervous and excited.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment