Monday, January 30, 2012

Adjusting on the fly...one day at a time...

I just completed week 4 of my training.  How time flies!

I am starting to settle in to a routine for my training (though the training is not routine).

I figured out that I needed another bike trainer, as the one I had been using is not working (or I have channelled my inner Lance Armstrong and all gears are easy).  Fortunately, Coach Sean is letting me use one of his trainers. 

I prefer to train early morning during the week, but that doesn't always work.  Also, when I travel, I will have to plan how and when I am going to travel.  My boss is supportive of my endeavor and allowed me to get out of a meeting in Chicago coming up (the meeting wasn't really necessary, in my opinion).

I'm sure some of you saw this You Tube video about triathletes and what they say.  Had to laugh, as I have heard most of them at one point or another. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTEgLKhjIw&sns=em

(I couldn't get the link to work...just copy and paste it into a separate page if you want to watch it)

I know it sounds corny, but that is how I am approaching this journey...one day at a time.  I know the mileage and workouts are going to increase as time goes on.  I am focusing on what I have to do today and let tomorrow take care of itself.  [Deep Thoughts by Vince Auten...it's true, though]

My learning curve is high right now.  Even with all of the other training I have done, training to complete an Ironman is totally different. 

I am learning lots of new things, like how to set up my bike, GPS, nutrition, etc.  I feel fortunate that I have teammates that I can ask questions of.  There is no way I would have taken this on had Ellen had not okayed me hiring a coach.  The questions will keep coming, Coach Sean! 

I am looking into getting compression socks...not to look like an elite triathlete...to help me recover.  I am realizing that recovery will be important, so that I can successfully complete my next day of training. 

When I first saw that I would have to do strength and core training, I thought, "oh great, that sounds like fun...not!"  I am realizing how important that will be to me being successful in my training.  I realize that I need to get stronger, especially to help my swimming.  I think part of my shoulder soreness is due to not having enough upper-body strength, which is probably why my shoulders have been sore.  I realized when I swam today that having a strong core will help me swim more efficiently.  Again, my learning curve is steep!

I always thought I was a pretty organized person...this training is going to take that to another level...another notch (as per chef Emeril Lagasse').  Balance is another word that is part of my mantra.

By the way, welcome to Dru Sexson and Chad Sperry to the IM Louisville team! 

No comments:

Post a Comment